Thursday 3 May 2012

Tai Koo

Before I came to Hong Kong this time I started reading people's blogs about the city so that I learn new fun things to do and see that are not the typical tourist haunts. My favourite Hong Kong blogs are Being Dutch in Asia, Adventures of a Big White Guy, Miss Fong in Hong Kong and Batgung. One of the posts of Adventures of a Big White Guy had a link to a fantastic old documentary on the history of the Hong Kong subway system (known in HK as the MTR). Check it out!

When Tim and I watched it we learned that Tai Koo station on the Island Line is (or was at one time) the largest man-made cavern in Asia. Now how could we possibly pass up an opportunity to see that????? My newly arrived friends Meg and Bec, along with Tim and I took the Island Line to Tai Koo after a delicious lunch at Din Tai Fung (Taiwanese food) in Causeway Bay. We sure weren't disappointed. As Meghan described it, "Tai Koo was EPIC, high tea was just good". As an added bonus, we even saw the plaque that is unveiled in the documentary. Definitely one of the high points of my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment